Going green has its many perks. It’s a win for the environment, but did you know that it could benefit your wallet too? Courtesy of The Daily Green , we thought we’d share some ways in which you could save money by going green.
1. Turn down your water heater: By lowering your water heater by 15-20 degrees, you could save between 6-10%.
2. Unplug idle chargers: Idle chargers still generate electricity when plugged in. Therefore, it’s wise to unplug or turn off surge protectors and/ or plugs when not being used. That could save you over 8% on your electricity bills.
3. Use CFLs: Known as compact fluorescent bulbs that are spiral. They’re wonderful because they generate 1/3 less energy and last 10 times longer.
4. Install Low-Flow Fixtures: Low-flow devices can do wonders on your water bill. By utilizing low-flow toilets, faucets, and showerheads, you’d be creating less waste and cutting your water consumption by 50-70%.
5. Consider Energy Star Appliances: There are many different appliances that have the energy star tag from computers to fridges. These tags guarantee an operation efficiency of 10-50%.
6. Install low-water plants: Green carpet grass and several plants can require lots of water. Consider getting low-water grass, plants, and shrubs for less water consumption and maintenance costs.
7. Be savvy with your heating & cooling: Remember every degree costs you. The Daily Green recommends that you buy a thermostat to get in control of your heating and cooling. They recommend turning the thermostat up in the summer and down in the winter when you’re away. Every degree could yield 1-3% in savings for you.
There you go. Being green= being great!
*Image courtesy of Sot.
Enjoyed this article?